Saturday, June 21, 2008

scotland's bright orange drink

My husband and I recently stopped for Fish & Chips at our favourite place, Hamish's, and, feeling kind of adventurous, I also ordered 2 bottles of Irn-Bru. I didn't know what to expect but I definitely didn't expect how bright orange this drink is!

I don't know why I was so surprised, but I guess, any drink that doesn't have the word "orange" in the name or description surprises me with such a bright colour.

Irn-Bru has been around since 1901 (although it was originally called Iron Brew) and is immensely popular in Scotland, with sales at about the same level as Coca-Cola! It's the 3rd best selling soft drink in the UK, after Coca-Cola and Pepsi.

It's supposed to have a slight citrus flavour, but it's definitely not an "orange-flavoured" drink. To me, it's kind of like a light cream-soda, vanilla-citrus taste, but it's hard to describe as it doesn't really taste like any other soft drink that I've had.

No comments: