Sunday, June 22, 2008

restaurant review: zaffron ristorante

Restaurant: Zaffron Ristorante
Location: 6200 Yonge St., Toronto, ON M2M 3X1
Telephone: 416-223-7070
Website: zaffron.ca

Meal type: Dinner

Average price per person: $11-25

What I ordered: Kashkeh Bademjan (eggplant with creamy yogurt sauce flavored with garlic, onion & mint), Ghaimeh (a traditional stew with chunks of veal shank, saffron broth, dried lemon, yellow split peas and french friens on top served with basmati rice)

Ratings:











Comments: Italian and Persian cuisine under the same roof? Who would have thought? I was super excited because this was my first experience with Persian cuisine - thankfully my friend is an expert. The restaurant was very cozy and cute – great ambiance. The food was good, but I think I still have to have it a few more times before I can fully appreciate Persian cuisine (it was years before I could appreciate Sushi!). I must say though that my veal was very tender and tasty. Our waitress wasn’t that great, but she seemed to be trying.

And a final note: my friend recommended putting butter on my saffron rice. This seemed very odd to me (being Chinese and all), but I've seen some other friends do it, so I tried it. I don't need extra excuses ever to put butter on anything. It really did make the rice extra flavourful.

No comments: