Monday, September 8, 2008

childhood favorites


So i'm at work and snacking on Pocky. And I realize that I've been eating Pocky since I was a child. Of course, when I was a child I only ever say chocolate, strawberry and plain Pocky in the Chinese supermarkets.

Pocky, is a Japanese snack made by the Exaki Glico Company of Japan. According to wikipedia: "It was first sold in 1966, and consists of a biscuit stick coated with chocolate...The original was followed by "Almond Pocky" in 1971, with an almond coating, and "Strawberry Pocky" in 1977. Today, the product line includes such variations as milk, mouse, green tea, honey, banana and coconut flavored coatings, and themed products such as "Decorer Pocky," with colorful decorative stripes in the coating, and "Men's Pocky," a dark (bittersweet) chocolate and "mature" version...Pocky is very popular in Japan. In bars, it is sometimes served with a glass of ice water."

I still stick with the chocolate Pocky today. The other Pocky variations make me chuckle when I see them, especially the description on the Decorer Pocky which says something like "it's like a decorative cake on a stick".

No comments: