Sunday, February 15, 2009

french fries


We were making hamburgers for lunch today and decided that instead of heating up some frozen fries in the oven I would attempt to make fresh cut fries. That's right - I made fries....using a potato!

They were actually easier to make than I expected and only took me about 15 minutes in total to prepare and fry up. As for taste - they were alright, but not as good as take-out fries and a little too soggy.

Method:
1) Wash, peel and cut 1 potato into french fries.
2) Put in boiling water for about 3-5 minutes.
3) Drain.
4) Fry in hot oil until golden brown.

I can't figure out if it's the boiling or the oil temperature that is making them soggy.

I think next time I'll try cutting them thinner and heating up the oil more before I throw the fries in. If all else fails it's the boiling that I'll have to work around or nix completel

I cant' believe how much stuff I'm making myself. I amaze myself. =P Tomorrow we're even going to attempt to cook fresh fish! Stay tuned for more food adventures!

No comments: