Wednesday, November 5, 2008

look at me - i'm a winemaker!



I recently went to a really fun and unique event at Hillebrand Wineries in Niagara Falls, Ontario. The event cost $25 per person and I went with my husband and another couple who are really good friends of ours.

The one-hour event is called "The Art of Red" and focus' on Hillebrand's award-winning Trius Red wine, one of my husband's favourites. Each year, the Trius Red wine is made up of various percentages of 3 red wines (hence the name, Trius). The reds used in the mix are Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot. Each year's mixture is different, making it unique.


To start the "lesson", got to taste each red wine so that we could figure out which ones we liked better. Then we got to mix and match our own version of Trius - yes, you have access to many, many bottles of wine! After several trials (and LOTS of taste testing), you get to bottle up your own mixture, cork it and put a special label and take it home with you!

It was a lot of fun and my own bottle of Trius is on our wine rack "aging". :)

No comments: