Sunday, July 27, 2008

restaurant review: elegantview chinese restaurant


Restaurant: Elegantview Chinese Restaurant
Location: 3601 Victoria Park Ave., Toronto, Ontario
Telephone: 416-499-2188

Average price per person: $0-$10

Some of the more popular dishes are:
Some of the more popular dishes are:
- har gau (shrimp dumplings) (pictured)
- siu mai (pork dumplings)
- bau (steamed buns)
- cheong fun (rice noodle rolls)
- lou mai gai (lotus leaf rice)
- juk (congee)
- dan tat (egg tarts) - my favorite, and the list goes on and on.


Ratings:










Comments:
The weekend always means lots of eating out for me...

My best explanation of what dim sum is is Chinese brunch. As with other Chinese meals it is based upon sharing many dishes, as opposed to each person having their own meal to themselves. The slang for dim sum is "yum cha" which translates directly to "drink tea", as dim sum is accompanied by Chinese tea. Traditionally, servers push carts around with the dishes and you can choose what you want. Many dim sum restaurants in Toronto have moved away from this custom, but I enjoy it so I can see what I'm getting.

I really enjoy dim sum - the variety, the great tastes, and the great price. Although we try new and different places, my family always seems to default back to Elegantview. It's not antyhing out of the ordinary in terms of Dim Sum restaurants, but the food is consistantly good, so we always go back.

Nowadays you can buy frozen dim sum dishes in the supermarkets, and although they are very good, it's just not the same.

No comments: