Tuesday, June 10, 2008

"warm winter lemon cake"

As soon as a I saw this recipe for Warm Winter Lemon Cake on the Kraft Canada site, I knew I had to try it. It was super simple too as it used a lot of instant mixes (hey, I'm still new to this cooking thing, okay? Give me a break!)

INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pkg yellow cake mix
- 2 cups cold milk
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 pkg lemon instant pudding mix
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp icing sugar

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Prepare the cake batter as directed on the package (ok, that I can handle) and pour the batter into a greased 13"x9" bcaking dish and set aside.


Pour milk and water into a large bowl and add the pudding mixes and granulated sugar (confession: I almost forgot about the sugar). Beat with wire whisk until well blended (yummy lemon smell erupts) and pour over the cake batter.


Place baking dish onto a baking sheet to catch any sauce that bubbles over the sides of the baking dish as it bakes (they're not kidding! Don't skip this step - it actually does bubble over the sides!)

Bake 55 minutes to 1 hour or until wooden toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes and sprinkle with icing sugar.

Well, the cake is super simple to make, but the final result isn't that pretty (or maybe that's just my baking skills). The pudding is nice and runny when the cake is warm, but if you eat it cold (the size of this cake leaves a lot of leftovers for 2 people!) the pudding is thicker, but still yummy.


I like it, but it's probably not something I'd make again. Also not a very impressive looking dessert for serving to guests (again, that could be my baking skills). :)

P.S. My parents love this cake. They've both commented on how good it is and my mom has already asked me to show her how to make it. So I guess I will be baking this cake again!

No comments: