Monday, June 2, 2008

my foray into sorbet making - "mango sorbet"

This is the first installment of my Kitten in the Kitchen series of blog posts. Join me as I learn about the culinary world by experimenting in the kitchen!

My sister gave me a Cuisinart ice cream maker for Christmas (well, I did ask for one and she was good enough to oblige) and my initial foray into the world of frozen dessert creation ended in disaster when attempted to make Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. I think I used the wrong cream (Light Whipping Cream with a fat content ot 35%) or maybe it was the extra 10 minutes the frozen ice cream maker tub sat on the kitchen counter while I mixed the necessary ingredients. Anyhow, the result was a yummy tasting, but incredibly soft (and I mean soft) ice cream that never really set. A couple of days in the freezer only resulted in a bad case of freezer burn.

I never really figured out where I made the critical mistake, but, not one to be daunted, yesterday, I pulled out the machine to try again.

This time I took no chances. To avoid the cream I chose to make sorbet instead and everything was chilled.

The INGREDIENTS were simple enough:
- 2 lbs of cubed mangoes
- 2 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar

DIRECTIONS

I started with 2 pounds of frozen mango cubes. Yes, fresh mangoes would have been a better choice, but I bought this a couple of weeks ago at CostCo before this project even formulated as a thought in my head. Thawed the mangoes out and squeezed in some fresh lime juice, which results in this:


That was tossed in the fridge while I made a simple sugar syrup, also tossed into the fridge. I let everything sit overnight in the fridge (told you I wasn't taking any chances) and in the morning, dumped it all into my ice cream maker, flipped the power on and said a quick prayer to the ice gods.

Twenty minutes later, voila!


It was thick and smelled of fragrant mango. It was, if I do say so myself, delicious! I'm so excited that I've started daydreaming of all the other sorbets and sherbets I'm going to make. Hello Meyer Lemon! Welcome Raspberry! Hop on in, Oranges! Who needs cream?


Just call me the Sorbet Princess.

No comments: