Friday, June 6, 2008

book review: a cook's tour by anthony bourdain


As I mentioned before, I'm a huge book lover. And I love food books! One of my first food reads, the one that got me hooked in the first place, was Anthony Bourdain's A Cook's Tour.

By now, almost anyone who's interested in food is probably already familiar with the wise-cracks of this globe-trotting chef and you either love him or hate him.

I love him.

In this book, which every foodie should read, Bourdain travels the globe "in search of the perfect meal". He touches down in exotic locations such as Cambodia, the Sahara and Vietnam and also in more familiar destinations like Franch, Japan and Mexico.

No matter where he was, Bourdain seemed to try something adventurous and he definitely had me drooling. The amazing meals he experienced in Japan and Portugal had me looking to see if my passport was updated and his experience at The French Laundry restaurant made me want to put my name on their waiting list (and of course, padding my bank account appropriately!)

To me, Bourdain is a great food book writer because his writing is never dry. He reads like he talks - someone you'd want to eat and drink with. He makes you want to be more adventurous in your food choices (although NOTHING will make me eat a live cobra heart...I don't think). A Cook's Tour is so easy to read, it's a breeze to get through and at the end, you feel like you've travelled the world and experienced the meals with him.

Highly recommended.

Rating:

No comments: